Sunday, August 20, 2017

How To: Ensure your Threenager keeps their seatbelt on

Had the shock of my life this morning during the Kindy run. Little Mr. decided to not only remove the shoulder straps off himself (little Hudini!) he also tried opening his car door while we were driving! (thank god for kiddy locks!) below is the list of what followed...
  1. While driving to Kindy, hear a weird noise come from Threenagers side of the car
  2. Glance over shoulder to find Threenager has removed his shoulder straps of his seatbelt, he also has decided to try opening the car door WHILE WE WERE MOVING!
  3. Shout out a quick "No! Stop!" 
  4. Find a safe place to move over and flick hazard lights on
  5. Turn car off and storm out of the car, and yank open Threenagers car door
  6. Point to the shoulder straps and tell them loudly (hoping that a raised voice will get the message across) "You NEVER take off your seatbelt when we are driving! And you NEVER try to open the car door!" 
  7. Take a deep breath to calm self before helping him put his seatbelt on
  8. Get a shock by a voice beside me saying "Is everything alright here?"
  9. Let breath out and say "Yeah, My Son just took his seatbelt off and I'm trying to teach him it's not ok..." 
  10. Look at the person and trail off in speech when I realise that it is a police officer!
  11. Smile sheepishly and take calming breaths and think back over the last few minutes (I didn't do anything bad did I? Did I cut someone off? Did I really look that mad???? Oh God! I hope he didn't think I was abusing my child! Oh God am I going to get a ticket???? Shit Shit Shit!!!!!)
  12. Mr. Policeman smiles and pats me on the shoulder "It's ok, kids do this sometimes"
  13. Relax and let breath out again, help Threenager back into their straps and try to tighten the seatbelt more
  14. Mr. Policeman notices I'm having a hard time so offers to help
  15. As Mr. Policeman tightens the seatbelt, he talks to Threenager "Hey Mate, you scared your Mum. You always wear your seatbelt ok? Do you understand?"
  16. Threenager looks wide eyed at me then back at Mr. Policeman "Yes, I understand" 
  17. Mr. Policeman smiles and hold up his hand "Good. Now, High Five!" 
  18. Mr. Policeman hops back into his car and drives off
  19. Hop back into own car, and drive to Kindy with Threenager in the back saying to himself "Wear seatbelt, Mr. Polcieman told me to" 
  20. Have a giggle to oneself and feel pleased that he had a very interesting lesson for the first time taking his shoulder straps off in Mum's car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment