Friday, December 16, 2016

How To: Use the 'Pay at Pump' feature


  1. Pull up at the pump
  2. Decide to use the "Pay at Pump" feature as you don't want to take Toddler inside (there is a long line) - And besides, Toddler likes to watch the numbers count up on the pump
  3. Follow the instructions and enter that you want to put $20 worth or petrol into your car
  4. After a while of standing there, begin to think "Hey, it's taking a while to put $20 in"
  5. Look at the dollar value on the pump and see that it is at $47! (more then twice the amount you have budgeted for)
  6. Instantly stop pouring petrol into the car and hang up nozzle
  7. Look at the "Pay at Pump" screen and all it says is "Pay inside when finished fuelling"
  8. Take Toddler out of the seat, hold their hand and walk inside to complain and pay for the petrol
  9. Toddler loses their shoe and gets upset
  10. Another customer picks it up and help me put it back on
  11. Decide to use the money machine to check the money to confirm that card wasn't declined at the pump and it wasn't a banking issue that might have made it not work
  12. Juggle Toddler, Keys and Wallet while using money machine
  13. Confirm that it is not a "declined" issue
  14. Walk up to the counter and stand in line behind four other people
  15. Stand in line for a few minutes (that seems like an eternity for a Toddler)
  16. Toddler see's all the goodies at his eye height 
  17. Queue Toddler singing a song that consists of "Lollies, Ice Cream, Chocolate, Ice Blocks" 
  18. Get to front of the line and sit Toddler on counter
  19. Explain issue with pump and how you're not happy with the "Double the money" situation (while taking items on the counter out of Toddlers hands)
  20. Pay for the petrol with a parting comment to the attendant "This close to Christmas is not cool, so many people are just trying to get by and don't have the spare money on a mess up like this"
  21. Get into car and drive off
  22. Call Hubby to make him aware about the extra money that has been spent (so that any purchases he makes, he is aware of the $27 less money we have)
  23. Get home and write a lengthily email of complaint... that is more of a novel ending in an apology to the attendant for loosing my cool:
Hi There, 
At 9.22am this morning, (Saturday, 17th December 2016) I went to my usual Z petrol station to put $20 worth or petrol into my car. I am a constant customer at Z Takanini as they have pay at the pump facilities - which makes it easy to pay and fill the car up with no hassles (or so I had thought!)
I pulled up at the station, put my card into the pay at pump device - where I followed the instructions as usual. I lifted up the nozzle as instructed and began to fill the car up. After a while of standing there, I began to think "Hey, It's taking a while to put $20 in..." looked at the dollar value on the petrol dispenser and to my horror it was at $47.41!!!!!!! 
Naturally, I freaked out, as I was only expecting to spend the $20 that this weeks budget has allowed for. I instantly stopped the petrol from going into the car and then looked at the pay at pump device to see what the issue was. All it said was "pay inside when finished fuelling". 
I returned the nozzle to the dispenser, picked my Toddler up and walked with him inside to sort the issue out. Let me just point out here, that the main reason I prefer to pay at the pump is because I do not wish to stand in line with a Toddler (or leave him in the car while I go inside) Paying at the pump allows me to fill my car up and talk to my Toddler while doing so, and there is something special about how he enjoys watching the numbers on the petrol dispenser counting up - something magical about it. Anyway....
I went inside, (juggling my Toddler, keys and wallet) walked up to the money machine to confirm that it wasn't a problem from my end due to the bank. As I suspected, there was enough money in there to pay for the petrol. Now, this was no easy feat checking the money while holding onto a Toddler, who had also lost his shoe on the walk from the car to inside, so he was upset about that. (Luckily another customer picked it up for me) 
After confirming that, I walked up to stand in line (four people deep) naturally my Toddler got bored after a minute or two of waiting (for a Toddler, a minute is an eternity -try putting one in time out and you'll understand!) Because all the chocolate and ice cream and other such treats are at eye height for a Toddler and most children, (a brilliant marketing ploy, I assure you) They can't help but see them and of course want them, so while waiting in line, I got a sing song of words consisting of "Lollies, Chocolate, Ice Cream, Ice blocks!" 
Finally it was my turn at the counter. I went up and told them my predicament, because of the fact that by that stage I was trying to stop my Toddler from picking everything off the shelves (hence why I prefer to pay at the pump) I was having trouble explaining to them about the issue at the pump in a calm manner - yes I did have enough money in my account to pay for the $47.41. BUT this close to Christmas, and when you have already had year of tough budgeting that every CENT counts. Double the amount that you have budgeted for is unacceptable and upsetting. 
Of course I payed the money, and I got a receipt for it so I can try to salvage what's left of my budget. But this is a tough time of year for most people, and I ended up walking away in tears after telling the attendant who served me the problem. I was mainly crying because I was upset at how I had spoken, not only to the attendant, but also in front of my Son. However the double the money situation didn't help. I just hope that another person who is on a tighter budget then me doesn't have the same issue. 
No, I don't know what caused the pay at pump not to work, as I did everything as I usually do and followed the instructions to a T. But if you could please contact the manager and ensure that they can find out and fix the problem, so that no other person has the same issue I did - that would make my day. Also, on a side note if you could pass on my apologies to the attendant that served me, as she was just doing her job. I have worked in customer service in the past and know how one bad customer experience can put a damper on your day. 
Kindest Regards, 




No comments:

Post a Comment